Registered Play Therapist logoBecoming a Registered Play Therapist through the Association for Play Therapy


  • Trained Mental Health Professional with at least a Master’s Degree in psychology, social work, counseling, or a related field. Must be licensed as a Mental Health Professional.
  • 150 clock hours of Play Therapy Instruction in History, Theory, Techniques/Methods, Special Settings, Populations applications.Hours must be provided by an approved APT Provider of Continuing Education.
  • Minimum of 500 direct (350 if supervision is provided by a RPT-S) Contact hours of Supervised Play Therapy experience.

Renewal Designation

  • 36 units of Continuing Education every 3 years.  18 or more units in Play Therapy with an APT  Approved Continuing Education Provider.

Detailed requirements on becoming a RPT can be accessed on the APT Website at .

Harmony Counseling Center is Sponsored by the Free Clinic of Simi Valley to provide APT Approved Continuing Education Units specific to Play Therapy. Our Provider Number is 04-145. The Free Clinic of Simi Valley maintains responsibility for the Program.

We additionally are Approved Providers of Continuing Education through the California Board of Behavioral Science. Our Provider Number is 2898.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.