BECOMING A REGISTERED PLAY THERAPIST THROUGH THE ASSOCIATION FOR PLAY THERAPY
• Trained Mental Health Professional with at least a Master’s Degree in psychology, social work, counseling, or a related field. Must be licensed as a Mental Health Professional.
• 150 clock hours of Play Therapy Instruction. See APT website for specific requirements of area of focus. Maximum of 50 Non-Contact Hours allowed.
• Play Therapy instruction must be provided by an approved APT Provider of Continuing Education.
• Minimum of 350 Contact hours of Supervised Play Therapy experience with Supervision done by a RPT-S in good standing with APT.
• 35 Hours of Supervision with 5 Sessions to be viewed or observed following the 3 Phase requirement time frame.
• Requirements to be met in no less than 2 years and no more than 7years.
Detailed requirements on becoming a RPT can be accessed on the APT Website: https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.a4pt.org/resource/resmgr/credentials/2021_credentials/rpt_standards_2021_version.pdf
• 36 units of Continuing Education every 3 years. 18 or more units in Play Therapy with an APT Approved Continuing Education Provider.